Dubai: In a severe setback to the job seekers from India and other Asian countries, Oman has imposed a six months ban for recruiting expatriate workers for 87 types of jobs in ten sectors.
The decision that has been taken to increase the pace of Omanisation and against the backdrop of the economic slowdown being faced by the country was announced by Minister of Manpower Sheikh Abdullah Nasser Al Bakri.
The order, however, clarifies that the licences issued prior to the enforcement of the decree shall remain valid until the expiry of their respective terms.
The order also says that the decision does not apply to establishments owned by employers wholly devoted to management of their establishments, which are registered with the Public Authority for Small and Medium Enterprises Development and insured with the Public Authority for Social Insurance (PaSI)
Business community, which is a little worried over the new development, hopes that if the economy improves with the current oil price, there won’t be a need for this law as there will be enough jobs created for both Omanis and expats.
They also expect that the six- moth ban may expose the mismatch or gap between the types of the jobs and the manpower available in the labour market.
The following is the full list of professions that have been impacted by the decision:
Information and Technology
1.Information Security Specialist, 2.Geographic Information System Specialist,3.Electronic Computer Networks, 4.Programmed Machines Maintenance – Electronic, 5.Electronic Calculator Maintenance, 6.Graphic Designer, 7.Electronic Surveillance – Equipment Assembly,
8.Electronics Technician – Telecom,9.Electronics Technician – Control Instrument,10.Electronic Technician – Medical Equipment,11.Electronics Technician Broadcast,12.Electronic Technician – Programmed Machines,13.Electronic Technician – Computer Networks, 4.Computer Programmer,15.Computer Engineer,16.Computer operator
Accounting and Finance
1.Bank Notes and Money changer,2.Bank notes technician,3.Account Auditing technician, 4.General accounting technician,5.Cost account technician, 6.Costs accountant ,7.Insurance collector
Marketing and Sales
1.Sales specialist,2.Storekeeper,3.Commercial agent,4.Commercial manager,
5.Procurement logistics specialist
Administration and Human Resources
1.Business Administration Specialist, 2.Public Relation Specialist, 3.Human Resources Specialist, 4.Administrative Director
1.Insurance Agent General, 2.Real Estate Insurance Agent,3.Cargo Insurance Agent.
4.Life Insurance Agent, 5.Vehicle Insurance Agent,6.Factory Insurance Agent,
1. Media Specialist,2. Page Maker,3. Paper Pulp Machine Operator,4. Bookbinding Machine Operator,5. Decorative Books Operator, 6. Calendar Operator,7. Paper Dyeing Machine,Operators,8. Bill Printing Machine Operator,9. Cylinder Press Operator,10. Rotating Press Operator, 11. Offset Printing Machine Operator,12. Color Press Operator,13. Palnographic Press Operator,14. Paper Folder Machine Operator,15. Paper Coating Machine Operator, 16. Advertising Agent
1. Male Nurse,2.Pharmacist Assistant,3. Medical Coordinator,
1. Aviation Guiding Officer,2. Ground Steward,3. Ticket controller.4. Airplane takeoff Supervisor,5. Air traffic controller,6. Aircraft Landing supervisor,7. Passenger Transport.supervisor.8. Land Guide,
1.Architect, 2. General Survey Engineer,3.Civil Engineer,4. Electronic Engineer, 5.Electronics Engineer, 6. Mechanical Engineer,7.Projects Engineers
1. Building Technician/Building Controller,2. Electronic Technician,3. Road Technician/Road Controller,4. Mechanical Technician,5. Soil Mechanics Laboratory Technician,6. Steam Turbine Technician,7. Construction materials lab technician,8. Gas Network Extension Technician,
9. Construction Technician,10. Transformer Technician, 11. StationTechnician, 12. Electrical Technician, 13. Heat Operations Technician, 14. Maintenance Technician, 15. Chemical Technician